Google Redux: Sneak Peak pt 2
Why am I doing the Google Redux? Because their visual syntax drives me mad.
- Gradients or no gradients – who cares?
- Icon dimensions? HA!
- Do we use english characters? Sometimes…
- Colour palette, what’s that?
- We’ve got 2D, 3D, Cell-Shaded and everything in between.
- Negative space, only on a Wednesday!
In short, there’s no way these icons all belong together, so when playing with the redesign I wanted to set some rules. The main emphasis is that the logo should be functionally descriptive – e.g. Youtube is about recording & watching Video, so we have a play button inside a red record button.
- Four key colours (plus white), each with a shadow shade.
- 3D is allowed in the form of a single drop shadow.
- No gradients.
- No text – a good logo doesn’t need a label.